St. Vincent & The Grenadines: Fried BakesPrint
Filed under Uncategorized Comment (0) (Leave a Reply)
Our Sponsors >
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup shortening
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 ½ cups water (approx)
1 cup vegetable oil (approx)
1. If not using yeast, omit step 6. The dough can be rolled out and fried immediately.
2. Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and yeast.
3. Rub in the shortening.
4. Add sufficient water to the flour mixture to make a smooth dough.
5. Knead dough lightly until smooth.
6. Cover with a damp cloth and leave dough to relax for ½ hr).
7. After dough has rested for ½ hour, divide and shape into 12 balls.
8. Roll each ball of dough on a lightly floured surface, to 1/4 ” thick and 3 1/2″ round.
9. Fry in hot oil until brown on both sides.
10. Put on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
11. These freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave.